My original 5 Things I Loved About This were lost in a tragic IGTV incident, but let me do my best to recreate them here. Because I DID love this book–and it’s the perfect book for its horrible, anxiety filled moment (and yet still distracting!)
1. the loopy premise. Sad-for-good-reasons, blocked writer starts wearing dog in sling and then can’t stop. It’s so crazy it just might work–and it does, for the protagonist and in the book sense.
2. the theme: everybody here is just trying as hard as they can, damn it. No matter how ridiculous they are (and some of them are Puppet People) Laura Zigman makes them lovable, relatable characters. She demands that we empathize with them all and I love her for it.
3. It’s all just so funny. Not one possible moment goes unmined for the ridiculousness of it all, in the best possible way.
4. Super distracting. You look up and it’s been an hour, and that’s a gift.
5. Makes all the feels okay. And that’s good, because I don’t know about you, but I’m having way too many feels right now.