5 Things I Adored About The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet
1. Wait! Maybe you don’t think this genre is your thing—but give this one a chance. If you like thoughtful books about the ways individuals struggle to understand one another, this is your jam.
2. Or maybe you don’t read in this genre, but you’re willing to watch—in that case, you’re in luck! The arc of this story is in many ways more like a video series than a traditional novel, with lots of smaller story arcs captured within it about all kinds of individuals and their interactions.
3. Contemplating the various ways a sapient species might structure its society and then evolve from there is … rather timely. But not in a stressful way.
4. Dang, this is just SO MUCH FUN. The cover is reminiscent of Hitchhiker’s Guide, and so is much of the book, although the humor is far less broad. Take away the snarky tone and replace it with a warm empathy for just about any possibility and you’ve got this.
5. Who doesn’t need to head out to a whole ‘nother world right now? The protagonist here has a really good (and highly topical/relatable) reason for fleeing her home to explore the galaxy. I’m so glad I got to go with her.