It’s not bad swear
As you know, Playing the Witch Card comes out… Tuesday. September 12, to be exact. It’s my third novel and I love it. I wrote it at a moment when I needed to be reminded that people you love do what they do and you have to let them do it—and even magic can’t stop them.
I also wrote it to have fun—because who can resist something that starts with It’s all fun and games until your mom shows up with your ex in the trunk of her car and goes from there to rogue Tarot cards, family secrets, cookies with their own agenda and three generations of women who just want each other to be happy but struggle to understand why that means different things to different people?
I couldn’t. I hope you can’t! But mostly, whether you grab this for yourself or not I hope you’ll HELP ME SHARE IT. In the next couple of emails I’ll be back to the usual book recs (expect to hear raves about both Mistborn and A Lady’s Guide to Scandal) but right now I could really use your help.
Here are 9 things you could do to help get Playing the Witch Card into the world:
1) Tweet/Thread/Chat it: Here’s a great short phrase to adapt or use:
It’s all fun and games until your mother shows up with your ex in the trunk of her car… which is why I cannot wait to read Playing the Witch Card by KJ Dell’Antonia. It’s a warm and witchy book full of hereditary magical chaos and unexpectedly eerie twists–perfect for fall!. https://geni.us/PlayingTheWitchCard
2) Add Playing the Witch Card to your WANT TO READ shelf on Goodreads!
3) Leave a review of Playing the Witch Card on Bookshop.org, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Goodreads, etc. (only Amazon cares if you purchased the book or if it’s released yet, so knock yourself out in those other places!)
4) Share on Social! Instagram and TikTok options below.
Possible caption: Here’s my first pic for a fun read this fall: Playing the Witch Card from @kjda! Why? Because it’s all fun and games until your mom shows up with your ex in the trunk of her car… Think Gilmore Girls meets Practical Magic or Elin Hildebrandt but make it witches, and think rogue Tarot deck in a small town full of family secrets, bound and determined that the truth will out no matter how many recalcitrant teens, unpredictable mothers or dueling exes get in the way. #bookstagram #fallvibes #playingthewitchcard #witchybooks
Instagram Reels to download (no Canva login or experience required) :
Caption: Time for #fallvibes and #witchybooks and I’m starting with Playing the Witch Card by @kjda (cookies from @cookieinthekitchen). #playingthewitchcard #witchyvibes #bookstagram
TikTok–just click the link to download a short TikTok, and upload it to your TT. I suggest either Out of the Woods or Season of the Witch for music, and know that if you hit “add link” then “book” and search Playing the Witch Card, you can add it. Caption: #witchybook by @kjdellantonia with cookies from @cookieinthekitchen Want more hashtags? #booktok #fallvibe are good. (No Canva account or experience required, and it WILL download to your phone.)
5) Please tell your local indie bookstore about Playing the Witch Card.
6) Include Playing the Witch Card as a recommended read in your own email or Substack! Suggested text:
Looking for a book with a spooky fall fun vibe–AND complex family relationships and a few twists and turns? How about Playing the Witch Card from KJ Dell’Antonia. Why? Because it’s all fun and games until your mom shows up with your ex in the trunk of her car… Think Gilmore Girls meets Practical Magic or Elin Hildebrandt but make it witches, and think rogue Tarot deck in a small town full of family secrets, bound and determined that the truth will out no matter how many recalcitrant teens, unpredictable mothers or dueling exes get in the way.
7) Please suggest that your book club read Playing the Witch Card!
8) Suggest that your library system purchase Playing the Witch Card. Don’t know how to do that? Go to your library’s website (or library system) and look for a section called “Recommend a title” or “Suggest a Title for Purchase” etc. It’s often in the Contact Us tab. This usually brings up the needed form. When filling out the form, you’ll likely need some or all of the following information:
Title: Playing the Witch CardAuthor: KJ Dell’Antonia Format: BookPaperback ? : ? 352 pagesISBN-10 ? : ? 0593713796ISBN-13 ? : ? 978-0593713792
Item Weight ? : ? 11.6 ounces
Dimensions ? : ? 5.16 x 0.72 x 7.96 inchesGenre or category: Fiction, Witches, Family Saga, Halloween, Adult, RomanceAudience: AdultsLanguage: EnglishPublisher: G.P. Putnam’s SonsYear: 2023Publication Date:September 12, 2023Price: $17.00
9) And, of course, please tell someone else about the book!
And if you did any of these things, hit reply and tell me so? I’ll read EVERY RESPONSE. I might not be able to answer—it’s gonna be a WEEK—but I will send very very appreciative vibes into the universe.